Monday, August 12, 2013

Las Reglas de la Classe (The rules of the classroom)

No, I don't really speak Spanish. That is the line from the Spanish version of Dr. Jean's song, "The Rules of the Classroom". And since I played that nearly every day when I taught Kindergarten before, it jumps to mind every time I think Classroom Rules.

And that's what I want to talk about today.

I have recently finished posting the WBT Rules in my classroom:

(Believe it or not, this is one of my only storage areas in my classroom!) Since I have a jungle theme this year, I decided to create my own posters and had a lot of fun doing so. However, in hindsight, I think I spent too much on the clipart - not a really smart choice (see, I broke Rule #4).

In any case, the question is: How do these rules, and the WBT technique for teaching them, help students learn their way?

Answer: It's not really the specific rules themselves but the way in which they are taught to the students and the consistency with which they are implemented and enforced which will help create a learning environment in which students can thrive.

I teach Kindergarteners and they learn best by moving (gestures are great), singing, repeating things rhythmically and from repetition. All of these techniques (except for singing - that's optional) are built into the WBT program. You know, even when I taught high school, they didn't like to sit for very long and, really, none of us do. Watch teachers during a faculty meeting or in-service training to know that that is true! LOL!

I just wish I had found WBT a long time ago. I think back on the kids I "missed"; the ones I lost my temper with (especially in high school). I can't change the mistakes I made in the past but I can make better choices for how I will behave in the future. I am excited and optimistic about using the WBT techniques in my classroom and I have already begun thinking about how I will translate them into my PE, Science and Social Studies classes so that I can keep my students moving, engaged and learning.

That's helping them learn their way.

Here are some close-ups of my rule signs:





No comments:

Post a Comment