Sunday, August 11, 2013

Starting off with WBT! 10 Fingered WOOT

Today, I am going to start by describing my discovery of Whole Brain Teaching (hereafter to be referred to as WBT). I don't remember which teaching blog contained a link to a video of Andrea Shipley, it may have been Ms. Eberhardt's Explorers, but to that teacher I send a big, ten-fingered "WOOH!"

The video immediately grabbed my attention and caused me to go searching for more and more there certainly is. When you go to the website, you will find hundreds of pages of materials and hours of videos about the WBT techniques and, get this, it is all FREE!

But what is it and why am I so excited about implementing it this year?

WBT is both classroom management techniques and instructional methodology that is based on the principle that combining movement, oral and aural repetition engage the learner's whole brain and make the information stick. It uses classroom management techniques such as the teacher saying, "Class" and the students responding, "Yes," to instantly engage your students' brains and refocus them. Whether this is used to help with behavior OR during teaching a series of mini-lessons, it is a very effective technique. Additionally, the teacher can change the way she/he says "Class" (for example, using a sing-songy voice or saying something like "Classity, class" and the students respond "Yes" in the same way. This further cues them in and requires them to re-engage their brains and refocus on the teacher.

I really like WBT because it emphasizes scaffolding or building concepts one on top of the other. Years ago, I trained in the classical model of educating which puts a deep emphasis on scaffolding so I understand the importance. Further, I know that the new "common core" standards put a HUGE emphasis on developing critical thinking and, whether discussing class rules or learning core subjects, the WBT five-step lesson plan incorporates a critical thinking component into every lesson (no matter how small).

I also chose to begin with WBT because (clap) I have taken pictures of some of the pieces I have already set up in my classroom and I don't have pictures of the Barrata-Lorton components yet. So, for today, I include, firstly, the link to the WBT website:

Whole Brain Teaching

Next, the video that set me on the path to WBT:
Thanks for joining me.
Let's teach Their Way!
Mrs. A

No comments:

Post a Comment